Thursday, October 14, 2010

Bigot on the bus

Today I was riding the bus on the way home from school. Two Latina girls got on and were speaking Spanish. I was Behind me, a collar-popped white bro turned to his friend and said in a loud and disgusted voice, "Oh God. It's not like people walk around speaking French or anything."

I was outraged. The two girls shot him a look, rolled their eyes, and just continued their conversation (good for them!) I tried to think of something to say, but couldn't. How do you address that kind of prejudiced ethnocentrism exhibited by a total stranger in the time frame of a short bus ride? I couldn't think of anything constructively educational to say. So I just turned and gave him a nasty glare of anthropological disapproval. He shut up for a while, but then he started to talk about how learning Spanish in high school was such a joke; he got a 3 on his Spanish AP without even really studying.

Pendejo.

I miss California.

No comments:

Post a Comment