Monday, November 29, 2010

End-of-semester distractions

Just a few links for fun, since I am currently stalled out on my proposal of a term paper topic for my History and Anthropology class (I think it's going to be something about the varying modes of intersubjectivity that characterize the two disciplines, though I'm not sure how to turn that into a one-page proposal, much less a 15-page term paper).

Who knew that "cellar door" would be widely considered the most euphonious phrase in the English language? It does have a beautiful sound to it. I love the way it conjures up the image of a mossy portal to an earthy-smelling place full of nice secrets (at least, it does for me). Maybe if academia doesn't work out, I'll open a pub/bakery called The Cellar Door. I'm sure the subtle melody of the name alone would be sure to attract a lot of business. Cellar door. Cellar door. Now I can't stop saying it. It really is euphonious, though I'm not sure it's THE most euphonious English phrase (can't imagine what such a phrase might be, though). Cellar door. Try it, you'll like it. Oh, and while you're at it, feel free to post your top picks for most melodious words and phrases.

And, for those of you who are, like me, facing a frightful amount of end-of-semester writing: here's a little help from the Postmodern Paper Generator. Every time you refresh the page, it's a whole new essay of complete academic bullshit. When the nonsense starts to make sense, it's time to start writing your own. (Or not).

No comments:

Post a Comment