Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Thought from the road: The Prophet

I've just had a lovely weeklong vacation in Lebanon and am now in Nepal. Orientation for my summer language course starts tomorrow. I slept 12 hours last night, got up for breakfast, and then slept about four more hours; in the afternoon, I read "The Prophet" by Gibran Khalil Gibran, one of Lebanon's most famous poets. I visited the house he grew up in and a museum with many of his books and paintings while I was in Lebanon. I'll share just one quote that fits my current situation:

"We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another, and no sunrise finds us where left by sunset. Even while the earth sleeps we travel. We are the seeds of that tenacious plant, and it is in our ripeness and our fullness of heart that we are given to the wind to be scattered."

Even while the earth sleeps I travel, and even while I sleep the earth travels. There is a constancy in all this changing that I find somehow comforting.




No comments:

Post a Comment