Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Food for Thought: Pumpkin Bean Curry

I'm a vegetarian grad student with limited time and money for cooking, but I also like to eat well- and by "well," I mean that I like food that is both delicious and healthy. This pumpkin bean soup recipe is one of my new favorite things. I love that the only fresh ingredients needed are a bell pepper, an onion, and some garlic; the rest of it comes out of cans. Also, it's vegan and gluten-free, so it's great if you cook for people of that dietary persuasion.

Note: this recipe is a modified version of this one that I found on allrecipes.com.

Pumpkin Bean Curry:

In a saucepan, thoroughly sautee one onion and one bell pepper in olive oil. Add 2-3 cloves of  garlic and cook for another few minutes. Add ~1 tablespoon of cumin and ~1 tablespoon of curry powder. Add 1 can of each of the following:
 - veggie broth
- black beans (washed and drained)
- corn (drained)
- pureed pumpkin
- tomato sauce

Bring to low boil and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Optional: puree with a hand blender til smooth. Garnish with sour cream if desired. Good with corn bread, wheat bread, crackers, etc.

Tonight, I had it with saltines. Classy, I know. I'm like the Julia Childs of grad school cooking.

I eventually want to try modifying this a bit more- I like it a lot as it is, but I wonder how it would turn out if I added a can of garbanzo beans, a few potatoes, and/or some carrots. In the meantime, I'm feeling happy and satisfied. Looking forward to a few meals' worth of leftovers, too.

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment